There are many business elements with the potential of affecting your company’s productivity and profitability negatively, which also means that there are many opportunities to turn a risk into an opportunity that can ultimately increase the efficiency and effectiveness of these elements, and guarantee a healthy return on investment.
In this blog, we explore how these elements can be turned into assets through the implementation of Microsoft Dynamics Field Services. In Part 1, we looked at how you can reduce costs by way of revenue leakage and operational expenses. We will now consider revenue leakage and human resources.
Revenue leakage and human resources
Number of field technicians
Reducing the number of field technicians to do the same amount of work can be seen as allowing for growth without having to hire more employees. There are both industry-specific and geographic considerations to this. If you have one technician in a geographic area, making him more efficient will not make a difference in manpower, but if you have many technicians with similar skills in a geographic area, making them more efficient means that you can function with fewer.
- Having the correct tools and equipment means that technicians are more likely to complete jobs on the first call and reduce additional visits.
- Knowing the availability of parts can increase the efficiency of the first call-out and reduce the need for multiple visits.
- Optimised routing means more jobs that can be covered in a day, requiring fewer technicians.
- Automated checklists; event-driven tasks; instant two-way video connections with field and back-office support; instant notification via email, voicemail or SMS; instant access to customers’ records, equipment service history, service manuals, service bulletins and other information increase the efficiency of the technician, which allows him to handle more tasks and increases efficiency of the first call-out.
- Less paperwork means more time in the field, and fewer technicians needed to handle the field service schedule.
- Instant access to expenses for reporting and billing clients, as well as instant approvals for additional work save time, which means the technician can fit more call-outs into his day.
Number of resources required for scheduling
Access to real-time data, automation, access to all required records, equipment history, warranty information, parts location and availability, price lists and other sources of data mean that a dispatcher better knows the right resources to send and can handle more field service technicians, handle them more efficiently, handle more calls and provide better customer service.
- Instant verification of whether a customer is covered by a warranty and, if not, faster authorisation for services and payment.
- All the required data the field service technician needs, at the click of a button.
- Correct information regarding directions, distance, skills of technician, etc. increases efficiency.
- The fully automated routing engine eliminates having to worry about normal scheduling, barring exceptions.
- Elimination of paperwork saves time.
- Real-time closing of tickets and automated creation of follow-up tasks increases efficiency and thoroughness of billing, etc.
- Reduced time and human resources wasted on calling technicians and chasing them regarding paperwork, customer signatures, customer PO, etc.
Servicing jobs in a normal nine-to-five day from Monday to Friday is more cost-effective than falling back on overtime and weekend work.
- When scheduling a particular job, an alert will be sent if the job will require the field service technician to work overtime.
- Real-time reporting or dashboard to continually monitor overtime means that you have sufficient warning when overtime starts accumulating, allowing you to take immediate action.
- The automated routing engine can consider not selecting overtime if it can be avoided.
- You can compare the costs of using your own employee versus getting a subcontractor.
Why Microsoft Dynamics Field Services works:
- Improves the customer’s experience by giving users quick and reliable access to customer information.
- Provides mobile field resources to enhance your total value and create new revenue opportunities.
- Facilitates more work orders and resources with fewer dispatchers while empowering users to act quickly upon changing schedules and with on-demand changes, and emergencies.
- Increases first time fix rates and on-time delivery performance.
Field service tasks tend to generate tremendous amount of paperwork – the original quotation and proposal, service orders, the preventative maintenance agreement, call centre trouble tickets as well as the actual work order, to name a few – many of these in triplicate or more. Paper (even if recycled) has a large carbon footprint, adding to the costs of printing, all of which are expenses that can be avoided.
- Running the system from the integrated mobile application means that the system can be implemented and followed mostly electronically, and can be sent to the customer and the field service technician via email, text or as part of the application.
- Data is entered electronically from any system and can follow the process without retyping, eliminating the element of human error.
Reducing the cost of missing a service level agreement (SLA)
Financial penalties or federal fines (in a regulated business) for missing an SLA can be costly. The cost of missing an SLA is not only financial, as the relationship with the customer is also compromised.
- SLAs are tracked and you are notified in advance, in real-time, of the possibility of missing an SLA, giving you enough time to take action.
- The automated routing engine can prioritise SLAs with a weighting system for more expensive “misses” to be moved at the top of the queue.
- Real-time reporting and dashboards allow you to monitor, in real-time, the status of the SLAs and the reasons why they are being missed.
- End-user reports or live customer portals show customers that you are meeting or exceeding your SLAs.
Can save your business money across the board, while at the same time increasing the productivity of your field service technicians as well as the efficiency of your systems and procedures. Contact Resolve Immix today to improve the return on investment of your business.